Thursday, June 25, 2020

Kaleidoscope of a Journal



As I think about my role as a teacher I wonder what the point of learning to write... The main reason I can think of is that it helps us express ourselves. Writing is the output of the self, where reading is the input of other. So how do you make writing practice something that a student wants to engage in? 

I do not believe it is the Five Paragraph Essay.

Sorry, not sorry.

I think someone wants to know how to craft an argument or informational or opinion piece of writing into a Five Paragraph framework only when they are already engaging in writing. And I think the journal, however that is defined by the student or creator, is the starting place...

But there are a lot of steps I'm still missing.

As you have seen, I use the journal as a place to keep notes from the books I'm reading in addition to my thoughts or story ideas (or my to-do lists). Another way to add notes is to take the book itself and turn it into an art installation. 



So I think the effect

in the end is both

and a

pretty

record.

of my thoughts

These are some

and keepsakes

A way to practice

and frustrations.

before committing to email.

No comments:

Post a Comment