Monday, June 13, 2016

Not your Grandma's Book


Today's daily create got me super excited, and once I checked my bookshelves I knew I had found the perfect book to update.

Seriously, am I the only one noticing how overly sexualized we are making young women look these days (I realize my picture is for an "adult" halloween costume but it illustrates the larger issue here).

I remember when Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen (who are 5 years younger than me) started to develop the Tween market (which they were a part of at the time). And you started to have, "here is how your annoying younger sister start to dress and act like you" phase of fashion. But it has progressively gotten worse.

There is no cute anymore. There is no young woman anymore. It seems that the moment you start to identify as a woman you start to see marketing and advertizing about being a sexual or sexualized creature.

I am all for the empowerment of women and the embrassing (*haha Fruedian slip! Meant EMBRACING) of our sexuality. But where are the training wheels for a 12 year old girl. I would like for us adults to have serious conversations with preteens about the developmental phase, between say 11 and 17, where we are developing but we should be cautious about going over board.

I could rant on and on, which is what is awesome about a single image. The power to provoke discourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment