Monday, April 27, 2020

The Catapult Challenge





The Video with the Catapult...

So in my head I have this idea for a video where I put this Catapult together...

I want to start by talking about how I got this a few years ago when the DMN&S had a daVinci exhibit... which turned out to have only been a little over a year ago (March 2019) so the fact that I have gotten around to doing this much of my "dream project" is impressive considering how strong the force (of Procrastination) is in me.

The thing is, I'm a bit stuck in figuring out how to pull this off. With COVID being a thing, and me trying to quarantine at home and be good, I've been cleaning and organizing and trying to unpack some of the things I keep saying I want to do. So I pulled this off the shelf and said to myself now would be a good time to put this together, and I could make a video for my students.

First thing I did was pull out the instructions and take some notes:

Labels and diagrams
Explination - background knowledge

List of parts and needed supplies..

Directions - step by step

What to do...

I love looking at pictures like this - We have to build it first before we need to know how to use it.

I don't need to read this yet.

1st On the back page I noticed something I want to read with you. Ans it builds background knowledge!

Connections are a valuable part of recall - connecting things together builds_____________.

Page Two: Taking it out of the bag - then I could lay it out like this. To, our (???) I could leave it in a pile like this... could be first and then laying it out like the picture - works better for editing and then I could make it.

Adding Notation.

And then I used Sticky Notes to mark the instructions with some more ideas... but I took them back out so I could do this part as a read aloud of some kind (this is where the project got a little fuzzy)...



And then I made my video...

It was 31 minutes long, and actually cutout right before I finished building it but the problem was then uploading it from my phone to the internet... The new phone's cable doesn't connect to my computer and it's possible I blew up our phone bill trying to use data (oops) to upload from the phone to YouTube but eventually a friend put on an app to my phone and I was able to upload my video...

The technology piece is always the one I feel I struggle with the most. You can look back in my blog to when I was taking that college class that required me to have a blog and make meme's and such. I mostly complain about not knowing how to make the technology match my ideas.


So still to come, the reading part...

No comments:

Post a Comment